Friday, July 18, 2008

something interesting

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/15/science/15tier.html?pagewanted=2&ei=5070&en=00d756ac7c85f4ac&ex=1216785600&emc=eta1

Interesting article that a friend of mine emailed me about the potential for Title IX in science. At Jewell I think that there isn't too much discrimination in the BIO/CHEM departments and most students are actually female. I do believe there is some sexism on the part of a few faculty members. It's frustrating, but manageable I guess.

Personally, the only time I've experienced this kind of discrimination was at camp. Some of our male staff had a problem with me being in charge. I hate to be that person who just assumes that it's sexism because I'm a woman, but there was no other explanation. They listened to other males, but would blatantly ignore instructions that I gave them.

I'm not sure this type of problem will ever be solved. This article points out that some of these measures will actually make things worse and I couldn't agree more. I think there needs to be a balance of men and women in most fields of work (but with equal pay). I don't know what to do to make that happen, but hopefully someone does.

No comments: