Saturday, May 28, 2011

cats and dogs

Oh friends (all 10 of you according to Blogger), guess what? I passed my qualifying exam!! I'm starting to think this whole Ph.D thing could be a reality. Wowza. That means it's officially summertime! I have some big plans this summer-trips to Tennessee and DC, maybe a float trip, lotsa music, lab Thursday Funday, reading for pleasure, and maybe joining the Columbia community symphony.

Anyway, let's chat tunes. I haven't had much time to check out anything new because I've been studying so freaking much, so I'm afraid I don't have much to report.

I've been listening to quite a bit of The Head and the Heart during my studies and I have to say they have grown on me a lot. At the first listen, there were definitely several stand out tunes (Down in the Valley, Lost in My Mind), but overall I wasn't impressed. I liked the folksy, acoustic-y vibe and I really love the lead singer's voice (Josiah Johnson)...it has a really nice husky quality. But many of the songs feature a sort of jazzy piano part that honestly I found a little cheesy. Over time the songs have really grown on me though. I still think some of the piano can be toned down (maybe even left out) because the lyrics and harmonies can carry the rest. But, I'm not a producer.

I've added two more concerts to my summer! Toots and the Maytals are stopping by The Blue Note next week for a free show on 9th Street (part of their Summerfest). Then in July I'm going to swing by the Pageant for The Fleet Foxes with a dear friend from undergrad.

Stay tuned for my upcoming Bonnaroo Preview Playlist.

No comments: